Millard E. Terrell
This community opened on November 1, 1946 and is located on Riverview Court in the Ironbound Section of Newark. It was originally named for Franklin D. Roosevelt, but it later took the name of one of its tenants, Milliard E. Terrell, an exceptional man who committed his life toward community efforts. Until the time of his death (February 27, 1986), Terrell proved himself to be an outstanding civic leader.
Being one of the first tenants to move into the housing development (he moved in on November 5, 1946 – five days after it opened), Terrell became progressively active throughout the years. He not only helped to organize a tenant league, but in 1973, ex – Mayor Kenneth Gibson appointed him to the N.H.A. Board of Commissioners.
At a rededication ceremony on June 6, 1986 (at which time the site was named after him), he was praised by several government and city officials. Terrell was closely associated with former Newark Housing Authority Director, Milton A. Buck, who had much regard for his input on community matters.
Unavoidably committed to improving the quality of life for his fellow tenants, Terrell developed several programs in the areas of education, health and recreation. He also implemented various social functions and gatherings for senior citizens, as well as sports activities for youngsters.
Terrell had the distinction of not only being the first tenant to have a housing community named after him, but also the first tenant commissioner to be awarded the honor of serving on the NHA’s Board of Commissioners.
Milliard E. Terrell will always be remembered as a responsible citizen and dynamic community leader who made an indelible mark in Newark’s growth with his hard work and dedication.
Named for John Wesley Hyatt, this housing community opened in 1942. Hyatt made a significant contribution to Newark’s early history. His invention of celluloid and roller bearers led to the development of two major companies, Hyatt Roller Bearing Company and the Celluloid Corporation. The first automobile had Hyatt’s roller bearings built into them. The Hyatt Roller Bearing Company went on to provide nearly all motorcars and trucks with bearings.
Hyatt’s Celluloid Manufacturing Company was established in 1872. It was found that Hyatt’s plastic could be made into tubes of various colors, sheets, rods, etc. The company moved from Albany to Newark in 1873 and later branched out in 1937 with the main office on Ferry Street. Because of the growth of his firms and his patents for roller bearings and celluloid, John Wesley Hyatt was long remembered after his death in 1920.